Getting back to everyday life.
Occupational therapy treatment is employed when you need to improve or relearn everyday tasks including personal care activities such as dressing and eating, home skills such as housekeeping and cooking, and personal management skills.
Consistent with our overall philosophy of individualized care, our occupational therapists take a personalized approach to design a treatment program that addresses your individual needs and goals. Our occupational therapy suite simulates a home environment including a full kitchen setting and a computer to simulate a work or home setting.
We put therapeutic practices into real life settings such as our horticulture groups which pot and trim plants. We then use those herbs from the pots and gardens in our cooking class, allowing you to simulate your home activities as part of your wellness plan.
Many therapy programs often associated with physical therapy are effective with occupational therapy. We offer effective occupational therapy programs for a number of health conditions including but not limited to:
- Osteoarthritis can be treated with exercises and electromagnetic energy to reduce pain and swelling while improving joint function.
- Stroke recovery therapy may include strengthening exercises alone or in combination with mild, comfortable electrical pulses to improve or restore strength and movement.
- Numb tingling hand resulting from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be treated with comfortable, high frequency ultrasound waves applied to the wrists.
- Risks of falls can be reduced when risk factors are identified and treated. Our personal health care team will assess your situation and design a treatment program.
- New advancements in post-surgical rehabilitation for Joint Replacements can help reduce pain and swelling while returning strength and flexibility to your “new” joint.
Not only do we prepare you to return home, if that’s your goal, but we’ll visit your home in Champaign, Urbana or Savoy at your request and provide an evaluation for any adaptations that may be necessary so that once you return home, you can successfully function in your home environment.
Occupational therapists use self care, recreation and work activities to increase your independent function.
Occupational therapy is available at Renewal Therapy Center on an inpatient and outpatient basis.